‘Tinea pedis’, the medical term for the fungal affliction called athlete’s foot, is a fairly widespread disease, affecting a good proportion of people, and not just athletes, as the terminology implies.
Funguses causing athlete’s foot mostly invade the feet, particularly the areas in between the toes, and the base of the foot as the warmth and moistness of these areas serve as ideal breeding conditions. Sometimes, even the toenails or fingernails might also be affected by this fungal strain.
Symptoms of athlete’s foot usually include inflammation of the affected area. Itching, scaling, and blisters may also break out when the disease is at an advanced stage. An individual is especially vulnerable to contracting athlete’s foot if he or she remains barefoot while using public baths, wears tight-fitting shoes for long periods, and has a tendency to perspire profusely.
However, treating this fungal infection is usually not an issue as adopting hygienic practices (including wearing shoes that fit comfortably and changing socks every day) and applying a medically approved antifungal cream or unguent offers relief.
While choosing a cream for the treatment of athlete’s foot, make sure the same has antifungal and antibiotic properties. A good quality ointment or lotion essentially contains clotrimazole (the most effective antifungal element) and infused with other active ingredients like lavender oil or tea tree oil, mainly to moisturizing the cracked, dry skin. At the same time, the texture of such a cream will be greaseless or non-oily in order to stop the fungus from spreading further.
Reviewing the 5 Best Athletes Foot Cream
Family Care Clotrimazole Anti Fungal Cream, 1% USP
Family Care Clotrimazole Anti Fungal Cream is an affordable medicated cream. It is ideal for coping with athlete’s feet as well as for ringworm and Jock itch.
This unguent is infused with the active ingredient-clotrimazole (1%). Other ingredients include benzyl alcohol, propylene glycol, and monobasic sodium phosphate dehydrate which effectively treat any type of fungal infection. The cream base is greaseless and also completely free from any synthetic fragrance.
For getting the most of this antifungal cream from Family Car, you’ll need to apply the ointment at least twice every day for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Clotrimazole makes it competent antifungal medication for dealing with ringworm (athlete’s foot & jock itch), vaginal yeast infections, diaper rash, etc.
- Completely non-greasy/non-oily that prevents further breeding of fungi
- Affected area or areas start healing within two weeks of topical application
- Works perfectly when applied in between the toes, on the toenails, base of foot and fingernails
- Does not contain any fragrances or odors
- Moisturizes the dry and cracked skin
- Restores healthy nail growth
- Checks itchiness and inflammation of skin
- Can be bought as an OTC medication (without a doctor’s prescription)
- May take more than two weeks for affected areas to heal completely
- There are no ingredients that are homeopathic
- Some ingredients are laced with chemicals
- May not always be easily available
Tea Tree Oil Therapeutic Lotion – Antifungal & Anti Itch Cream for Feet and Body
If you are looking for an organic treatment, then use Tea Tree Oil Therapeutic Lotion from Derma Nu Miracle Skin Remedies. The cream will help treat athlete’s foot, jock itch, or any other type of fungal infection.
This antifungal & anti-itch cream contains Aloe Vera which works in combination with essential oils including peppermint, oregano, eucalyptus, and tea tree for repairing, healing, and exfoliating the skin. The botanicals and herbal oils hydrate parched or cracked skin. They also remove body odor, heals fungal contagions like athlete’s foot, ringworm infections, and offer several other therapeutic benefits.
- Natural ingredients used to such as unguent have been sourced from medicinal plants and herbs
- Helps tackle common bacterial and fungal issues like athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, jock itch, etc.
- Soothes inflamed skin and offers relief from itchiness
- Helps one to get rid of bodily odors
- Imbibed with Aloe Vera that is in rich in antioxidants for checking bacterial growth
- Has coconut oil whose antifungal and antimicrobial attributes help treat dermal infections
- Contains tea tree oil that promotes hydration
- Infused with many other natural ingredients including ginger oil, jojoba oil, cinnamon oil, lavender oil, oregano oil, and eucalyptus oil
- Many users have complained that this herbal ointment was not quite effective in treating acute fungal conditions
- Works better only when used in combination with other related medicated products
Lotrimin Athlete’s Foot Cream, 0.42 Ounce
Lotrimin Athlete’s Foot Cream has been specially formulated to not only deal with athlete’s foot but other fungal afflictions such as ringworms and jock itch. This treatment is the most popular medicinal cream when it comes to treating athlete’s foot as the lotion is suffused with clotrimazole. Topical application of the emulsion has a soothing effect and is non-greasy, it does not leave behind any stains.
This is an odorless cream that is highly effective in alleviating scaling, burning, and itching-symptoms associated with athlete’s foot. Dermatologists, skin specialists, and podiatrists highly recommend Lotrimin for diaper rash treatment. If you wish to get the best results from applying Lotrimin in order to heal your fungal infection, you should apply the cream every day for 4 weeks at a stretch.
- Offers quick relief from scaling, burning, cracking, and itchiness
- Non-staining, greaseless, and odorless
- Incredibly effective in healing athlete’s foot, ringworm, and jock’s itch
- Has a calming effect following application
- Excellent in moisturizing parched skin and repairing inflamed skin
- Infused with clotrimazole
- Also effective in treating diaper rashes and vaginal yeast infections
- Is effective against a wide range of fungal infections
- Starts showing results quickly
- Small sizing of the tube (0.42 ounces) implies that the user will have to buy several tubes for continuing with the application procedure
- All the ingredients are not organic
- Somewhat expensive in comparison to its volume
If you or anybody in your family is suffering from athlete’s foot, ringworm infection or any other kind of fungal condition, then opting for any of the above antifungal creams will help provide needed relief.
Lotrimin and Family Care creams contain the essential active antifungal medication, clotrimazole. Tea Tree Oil therapeutic lotion from Derma Nu Miracle Skin Remedies is an organic product, containing only essential natural oils.